First Book is committed to providing our members with an extraordinary level of service. As such, First Book is dedicated to keeping information that you provide us safe and secure. You may be periodically contacted by email or by phone to verify data in our system.
Privacy matters. If you have any questions about this policy, please contact First Book at:
1319 F St., NW
Washington, DC 20004
Information First Book collects and how it is used:
First Book collects information about the individual interacting with our organization (“personal information”), as well as information about the program the individual represents (“program information”). Personal and program information may be viewed and updated at any time by logging into First Book using your user ID and password (“First Book account”). We may ask for additional information in the future to better serve you. First Book does not collect any information about individual students or children. All individuals who sign up to become a First Book member must be 18 years of age or older.
How First Book collects information:
In addition to collecting information at registration, First Book also collects personal and program information from: Special surveys, application or opt-in forms for various programs, and First Book Marketplace orders (including titles, quantities, and prices). First Book may combine information submitted during participation in any First Book program into a comprehensive profile that will allow us to better serve you and provide you with the best possible level of service.
First Book uses the data collected to provide members with valuable information including, but not limited to:
- First Book Marketplace updates and offerings
- Opportunities to receive free books and resources thanks to support First Book's corporate and non-profit partners.
- Programmatic updates
- Volunteer opportunities
How First Book will not use your information:
Information sharing. First Book will only share organization information with entities outside First Book in the following limited circumstances:
- First Book may provide information about your organization to First Book's partners as part of a campaign that will provide your organization with means to receive books because of participation in one of First Book's programs. We may release an organization's name, location, mission, and/or history of involvement with First Book as part of such a campaign. First Book will not provide this information to a third party outside the above parameters without your prior consent.
- First Book may use anonymous demographic information to provide First Book's partners with a profile of the types of organizations First Book serves as a way of demonstrating the power of the mission.
- First Book may disclose aggregated information (such as the total number of organizations or the total number of children First Book serves) about registered organizations to First Book's partners as a way of demonstrating the power of the mission.
- First Book may provide your organization's name, mission statement and location (only city and state) to its partners to further the First Book mission. First Book will not provide your organization's exact location, point of contact, phone number, fax number, email address, and/or history of involvement with First Book as part of such a campaign to a third party outside the above without your prior consent.
- First Book does not sell personal information or organization information and will not provide any information to other entities for commercial purposes such as marketing.
- First Book will not share personal information of any kind with entities outside First Book without consent. However, First Book may disclose personal information when compelled to do so by law, or under the reasonable belief that such disclosure is necessary to conform to applicable law or other legal processes.
First Book may use links on its Web properties that enable it to track whether those links have been followed. This function helps First Book discern how certain Web properties are utilized by its network.
How your First Book account differs from your payment account:
For certain services, such as the First Book Marketplace, credit card or e-check information is requested. This information is stored in a separate “payment account” and, to protect the security of your financial information, is not contained in your First Book account. Because this policy only concerns your First Book account, the terms of this policy do not extend to your payment account. For concerns about your payment account, please contact First Book's Member Services Team at 1-866-READ-NOW or email@example.com.
Opting out of email communications:
You have the right to opt-out of email communications from First Book. All First Book communications have an option that enables you to unsubscribe. Please note, however, that unsubscribing from First Book mailings will limit and/or eliminate your ability to receive information about upcoming promotions and other opportunities to receive books and educational materials for your program.
Use of First Book's product review tool is for your own personal and non-commercial use. By posting a rating or review, you are giving First Book consent to display your submitted material. By using the First Book Marketplace site, you will be subject to post-sale emails that you can unsubscribe from at any time.
First Book takes appropriate security measures to protect against unauthorized access to, or unauthorized alteration, disclosure or destruction of personal information and organization information. Access to personal information and program information is limited to First Book staff.
First Book uses personal information and organization information only in accordance with this policy. First Book periodically reviews the methods by which it collects, stores, and maintains data. Because First Book understands the necessity to keep such information up to date, you may be contacted periodically to keep your personal and organization data current.
User ID and password agreement:
You are responsible for all actions taken with your user ID and password. Therefore, First Book recommends that you do not disclose your password to any third party. If you choose to disclose your user ID and password to a third party, you are responsible for all actions taken with your account. If you feel that your password has been compromised, you should immediately change your password and contact First Book's Member Services team by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 1-866-READ-NOW.
Changes to this policy:
Updated January 24, 2018